Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Status : 1 - Planning

Well what news is there? First off my new HDD arrived. Unfourtunatly, I dont have the time do deal with it right now... probably not until this weekend. I've left inspiration phase and entered as the sf.net-esque title suggests the planning phase.

I finished reading Just for Fun (which is excellent, by the way, I would highly reccomend it to anyone with a remote interest in linux, computing, revolutions, Finland, or reading for that matter) and I've started reading How Linux Works (by Brian Ward, original author of the Linux Kernel HOWTO, and possibly more telling published by No Starch Press) It is an interesting read and though I knew a lot of what I've read so far, there are quite a few tricks I've picked up and it is getting in to increasingly advanced topics.

So now I guess the next step is... picking a distro. I've gotten a few reccomendations for PCLinuxOS and while I appreciate the thought I'm not sure wether its right for me or not. Everything I've seen on it bills it as a "perfect system for beginners" and though I've had a few commitment issues 'bout it, I'm not sure I'd catogerize myself as a beginner (If you have a rebutal to this dismissal, I welcome further reasons why I should consider it). What I really want is a good, complete, not to simple system. I've tried Red Hat, Mandrake (and Mandriva), and SuSE before. Of these, I got bored of Mandr{ake,iva} and SuSE but I only uninstalled Red Hat because of logistical concerns (though the reason I didnt get tired of it may be simply that I didn't have as much time with it) so I'm thinking of giving Fedora a try. I also value customization so Gentoo or LFS might be a good fit (I started making an LFS system once but I accidently deleted that partition). I have Ubuntu cd's sitting around somewhere that I never got around to installing so that may see day too (though for some reason it gives me bad vibes, mabye brown just isn't my color). Another concern is that I want to get a good education of the system and config tools arent really my thing so I'm thinking Slackware might get a try. I plan on reading Ravi's "Best Distro of All" conversation once I get a chance and mabye that will provide some guidance. Want are your opinions on the subject?

I'll update once I've made some decisions

~Donald

1 Comments:

At 1/05/2006 10:24:00 AM, Blogger thak said...

I would highly recommend using Ubuntu--unless you just really want to tweak it all the time.

Ubuntu "just works"--install it and go--and the "extra" repositories have just about every single piece of software you could want.

I've been using it as a server for over a year for my wife's (diskless/fanless/remote boot) kitchen machine, and she loves it.

Yes, it's brown, but you can change _that_. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home